System wants to erase drive after factory reset

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: System wants to erase drive after factory reset

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}"Lee
Is your hard drive used in the old F4-210? Have you tried to insert the hard drive and then boot to use the original system?
Can you provide us with a screenshot that prompts you to format?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: System wants to erase drive after factory reset

Post by sianderson »

Lee Crump wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 02:32 I am having a very similar problem. My 3 month old F4-210 would not power on and TerraMaster promptly sent me a replacement (thank you). However the replacement device now wants to initialize the disks with my data on them.
i think the issue maybe because TM use your hard drive to install the OS from so the hard drive is a boot drive, whereas other manufacturers treat the hard drives as data drives and have their own area they run the OS from so in those instances so you are free to swap them around and rebuild raid arrays because the OS isnt changing

but to TM if it doesnt recognise the hard drive then it believes its a brand new drive to install the OS onto (from a usb drive inside), im guessing these hard drives are now tied to the unit they were initialised in some how so you cant just pull them and put them in another unit without it saying hang on it hasnt been set up on this device before lets wipe the entire hard drive

its a poor design in my eyes, the hard drives that users put in the NAS drive should just be data drives, definitely have a USB backup of all your data that should atleast give you some confidence (also the USB drive can be NTFS so in a disaster recovery situation you could just plug it into a windows computer and copy the data off it) whereas the drives inside the units cant be NTFS
F2-210