Moving a 3-disk RAID5 from TDAS to TNAS?

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
macronencer

Moving a 3-disk RAID5 from TDAS to TNAS?

Post by macronencer »

Hi, couldn't exactly find this in the FAQs - I thought it might be a good idea to ask here.

I have a 5-bay Thunderbolt TDAS at the moment with 3 x 6Tb drives in the first three bays configured as RAID5 12Tb. I've decided I might need to move the data to a NAS so I can access it more easily from other machines. Can the drives be physically moved from a DAS to a NAS and simply work? Or will I be forced to buy three more 6Tb drives and make a new RAID volume on the NAS, then copy everything across? Obviously I'd rather avoid that, due to the expense, but if it's necessary then so be it - at least I'll have three spare drives afterwards, to use for other things.

Help/confirmation appreciated! Thanks!
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: Moving a 3-disk RAID5 from TDAS to TNAS?

Post by TMS »

macronencer wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 02:47 Can the drives be physically moved from a DAS to a NAS and simply work?
Cannot directly insert the TDAS’disk into TNAS to use.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
macronencer

Post by macronencer »

OK, I guess that answers my question then!

It seems a rather strange limitation. I mean, why don't the two devices use exactly the same formats for their disk volumes? They're both running TOS, right? Sorry, I'm new to this and don't understand everything yet.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

TNAS device needs network cable connection and hard disk needs to install TOS system, TDAS is equivalent to USB storage device.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
macronencer

Post by macronencer »

Ah yes, that makes more sense now. I guess TNAS isn't just a NAS, it's a NAS plus a system for installing stuff (e.g. media servers).

Thanks for the information.