New TM F2-210 iMac

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
KeithW

New TM F2-210 iMac

Post by KeithW »

My new TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Quad Core unit is coming today, the drives arrive in a couple of weeks. On my network I have two Macs and a windows Dell machine.

When I insert the drives and format them will the Macs and windows computers be able to read and write to the TOS file format.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: New TM F2-210 iMac

Post by TMSupport »

Do you mean that whether the HDDs formatted with TNAS could be read and write later connecting to Mac and Windows directly?
If so, the answer is no. They are of different file systems. The HDDs formatted in TNAS could not be read directly when connecting to Mac/Windows.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I understand that, am I right to understand that TM F2-210 has it's own file system that can only be read via the TOS. Can I copy a file from the TM to my computer via the TOS?
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

the nas drive uses linux as its operating system, therefore it will format the drives in a native linux format e.g. EXT4 or BTRFS

Windows and MacOS can not read these file systems directly, however on my Windows 10 PC i used the hyper-V and created an Ubuntu (Linux) Virtual Machine, then passed through my USB backup drive to the VM that i used to backup my data from my F2-210 every night (to verify backups)

this had no problems in reading the drive and extracting the data off it (it just saw my EXT4 usb drive as a normal hard drive and gave me direct access to it), if the drive is in a raid array i believe there is an extra step that you need to do to enable direct reading under Ubuntu (Linux) but as i still only operate a single drive in my F2-210 with a USB backup i havent needed to test what that step was

but in answer to your question as long as the nas drive is working then you can copy across the network any data that is stored on the drives so there is no actual need to plug the drive into a PC, aslong as its recognised in the nas drive
F2-210

KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Thank you. My hard drives are on the way.

Return to “Initialization”