Install Xpenology on TerraMaster NAS

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
JasonB

Install Xpenology on TerraMaster NAS

Post by JasonB »

I own a TerraMaster F2-221, I like the hardware and appearance of this small NAS, while I never used TerraMaster operating system before, so I installed Xpenology on my F2-221, Xpenology is a bootloader for Synology’s operating system which is called DSM, to know more about Xpenology. Until now, it seems that Xpenology is running stably on my F2-221. I'd like to share my experience about how to install Xpenology on TerraMaster NAS.

1. Burn a new USB boot flash drive
1) Download the Xpenology installation package ; This package only works for TerraMaster x.64 models.
2) I am running Windows to burn the USB drive; a 32GB USB flash is good enough;
Tool link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32d ... t/download
Connect a new USB to your PC, and run the tool, follow the prompts to write the Xpenology system to your USB flash drive.

2. Install Xpenology to your HDD
1) You need to loosen the screws on Terramaster box, and remove the original USB stick from its mother board, or your nas will always boot from Terramaster OS;
2) Connect the USB boot flash to F2-221 USB host, connect a HDMI monitor and USB keyboard to your NAS;
3) Boot F2-221 up, press F11 on the keyboard to get to the BOOT page, and select the connected USB as the startup item.
4) Download and install Synology Assistant for Windows OS.
5) Search your NAS with Synology Assistant.
6) Click the Online button to get to the installation page.
image001.png
7) Insert the HDDs and follow the wizard to complete installation.
image003.png
The installation is quite easy and straight forward, now enjoy it!
yerc1

Re: Install Xpenology on TerraMaster NAS

Post by yerc1 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}JasonB

Thanks of sharing.

I just want to use my TNAS and not be bothered with issues. I have set it up with TOS at 99% of what I bought it for.

Many of the ongoing issues with TOS are basic things a business with genuine concern for its customers should be taking care of. Having said that, I will wait a little bit more (not forever) for improvement not only on the technical side but also on the "care factor" side.

Please come back here after some time of using Xpenology on your TM NAS to share its pros and cons.
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}JasonB

Well, what I can tell, you paid for the box, you own it, you can do whatever you want. we will provide warranty service for the box if you did not break the hardware or make something fail on hardware. One day, if you decide to go back to TOS, we can also provide your necessary help. Good luck!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Texas-TNAS

Post by Texas-TNAS »

Jacob
Are the fans on your F2-221 Xpenology running silent or at high speed?
mukmuk

Post by mukmuk »

@ JasonB: I would like to know, too, if the fans are running continously, or can you use them at auto level?
nurpur

Post by nurpur »

{L_BUTTON_AT}JasonB
yerc1 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 05:02 Thanks of sharing. I just want to use my TNAS and not be bothered with issues. I have set it up with TOS at 99% of what I bought it for. Many of the ongoing issues with TOS are basic things a business with genuine concern for its customers should be taking care of. Having said that, I will wait a little bit more (not forever) for improvement not only on the technical side but also on the "care factor" side. Please come back here after some time of using Xpenology on your TM NAS to share its pros and cons.
Hi Jason, Do you have working links for the software download. The ones given do not appear to work. Thanks
elomon

Post by elomon »

Thanks for your post! It worked out of the box!
elomon

Post by elomon »

mukmuk wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 22:38 @ JasonB: I would like to know, too, if the fans are running continously, or can you use them at auto level?
In my case F2-221 fan settings are in the bios and fan rotation rotation speed/noise can be configured there
nurpur

Post by nurpur »

elomon wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 15:26 Thanks for your post! It worked out of the box!
Hi,
Are you able to share the files that Jason originally linked, as the link is broken.
I am trying to get Xpenology loaded onto a F4-422. There are very limited options in the BIOS
to boot from USB.

Thanks

IMG_4534.JPG
Attachments
IMG_4533.JPG