New TNAS (F5-221) stuck on "Volume #1: Synchronizing..."?

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
thefalloftroy101

New TNAS (F5-221) stuck on "Volume #1: Synchronizing..."?

Post by thefalloftroy101 »

Hello, I recently purchased a Terra Master F5-221 TNAS device. I have installed five (5) x 12TB IronWolf Pro hard drives into the device, and I have set it up in RAID 5 and updated the TOS software, etc. The setup seemed to work fine, however, for the last few hours when I look at my dashboard information panel it shows that my CPU usage and memory are both quite high and that my Volume #1 is "Synchronizing..." - I'm not sure if this is supposed to show this message for this long, or if something is wrong/stuck.

I should also mention that I also own a Terra Master F5-421 TNAS device which I purchased a couple of years ago which has five (5) x 8TB IronWolf Pro hard drives (also configured as RAID 5) and don't remember having this issue when I set it up. I thought maybe it was because the hard drives in my new TNAS are larger so maybe it was taking longer, but now that it has displayed that message for several hours I am starting to wonder if something is wrong. I'm afraid to turn off/reboot the TNAS since I don't want to interrupt anything if this is normal.

I've attached a screenshot that shows what it looks like - if there's any other information you need from me, please let me know! I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide!
tnas_screenshot.PNG
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: New TNAS (F5-221) stuck on "Volume #1: Synchronizing..."?

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
If you have created Raid5 and used it for a period of time before upgrading the system, and this problem occurs after the upgrade, please unplug the hard disk and reinsert it after shutting down, and then turn it on and log in to TOS to check the result.

Synchronize is a necessory step for a newly set RAID, If you created it recently, there may be this display for about 2~5 days and it will take up some CPU and memory, because the speed of creating Raid 5 is about 100MB/s.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
thefalloftroy101

Re: New TNAS (F5-221) stuck on "Volume #1: Synchronizing..."?

Post by thefalloftroy101 »

Hi Ryan, thanks very much for your quick reply. I was able to find the progress percentage of the synchronization in my Control Panel > Volume section, I checked it this morning and it's at 75%, so it is just taking time. Thank you again! :)