Q: How to move TOS to a new installed SSD

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
MDvP

Q: How to move TOS to a new installed SSD

Post by MDvP »

I have a F4-220 with Raid1-2x4T-IronWolf working good. To install a email-server and avoid spinning up frequently i want to install a WD-Red-1TB to hold TOS, apps and app-data. I've read the FAQ about howto re-install TOS. But how to change the installation base?
I thought about:
Use Methode1, backup settings, restore factory settings, then i think power off, install new SSD and power on again before installing?
Or is it better to power off, remove disks, put in only the SSD, install TOS, restore settings and than add the raid-disks again?
Additional question: Is there a good thumbrule how to partion the SSD? 10% overprovitioning, 10% (100GB) for SSD-cache?
Thank you.
TNAS: F4-220, 4GB Ram, TOS 5.1.37, 8GB System, 2x4TB IronWolf TRaid Btrfs , 1TB SSD-WDRed Btrfs
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: Q: Howto move TOS to a new installed SSD

Post by TMS »

It is recommended to reinstall the system and reconfigure,and an ssd cannot be divided into cache and storage at the same time.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
MDvP

Post by MDvP »

Thanks for the quick reply, i think reconfigure means not to restore settings, ok.
Reinstall with all disks in(hopefully without losing data on the raid1) or only ssd and add the other disks later?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Back up configuration, shut down, put only ssd, install system, restore configuration after installation,your method is feasible.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
MDvP

Post by MDvP »

Thank you very much, all worked well.
Only a few remarks: overprovisioning seems not to be possible, the SSD if formated completly and i had to reinstall the apps.
Installing TOS online installs 4.1.30, i had to update afterwards.
TNAS: F4-220, 4GB Ram, TOS 5.1.37, 8GB System, 2x4TB IronWolf TRaid Btrfs , 1TB SSD-WDRed Btrfs