Trying to complete initialization without deleting data from HDD

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
JMartin

Trying to complete initialization without deleting data from HDD

Post by JMartin »

I was having issues with Plex Media Server and I read the fix for the problem was to reinstall TOS. Saw these instructions - viewtopic.php?t=423 referred to in numerous threads, so followed them. I'm running 2 4TB HDD in Raid 1 with about 3.5TB used.

The guide says "Reinstalling the system will not delete the data on your hard drives." but when I went to log back into the device, after going through the Welcome screen, Hard Drive check up, then whether I choose "Auto download and install TOS system" or manual, I then get a message saying "Data on HDD1, HDD2 will be deleted. Are you sure you want to continue". I'm obviously not! I'm at loss for an alternative to get the NAS back running without wiping my HDD.

Does this message mean ALL the data on my drives, or am I misunderstanding this and it means the system configuration data only, which I backed up. It's too big a gamble to guess and lose some important data. Any help appreciated
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: Trying to complete initialization without deleting data from HDD

Post by TMS »

Please tell your model number and TOS version before the upgrade.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
JMartin

Post by JMartin »

Model number is F2-210 and TOS was 4.1.something, not sure the final version, but definitely 4.1
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

JMartin wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 00:09
Does this message mean ALL the data on my drives, or am I misunderstanding this and it means the system configuration data only, which I backed up. It's too big a gamble to guess and lose some important data. Any help appreciated
It will not delete your data, only system configuration data.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Normally reinstall TOS will not cause data loss. In case you are prompted to create a new storage pool and volume during your re-installation, you need to quit immidiately, or you will lose your data. It is recommanded to backup your data before your re-installation.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)