Separate WOL from Auto-Power-On

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
Agondonter

Separate WOL from Auto-Power-On

Post by Agondonter »

Hello dear TerraMaster developers,

Please, separate the Wake-On-LAN from the Auto-Power-On feature.

Currently, if the user enables the Wake-On-LAN (WOL) option, the Auto-Power-On is also switched ON. And if the user disables the Auto-Power-On, the WOL doesn't work.

The two features should be independent from each other.

(Especially in my case, because my power supply is very unreliable, and every day we have a few power outages. UPS does not help, because the AC electricity frequency is wildly fluctuating 3-5 minutes after the power comes back online. Years ago I stopped buying UPSs, because they were dying on a weekly basis. So, every time the power is back on, I wait at least 5 minutes before I switch on any electronics - laptop, router, printer, NAS, etc. That's why the dependency between the Wake-On-LAN (WOL), and the Auto-Power-On is extremely inconvenient for me. I am pretty sure your warranty does NOT cover a faulty AC electricity supply...)

My TerraMaster is F5-221, running TOS 4.2.39-

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards.
Attachments
Please separate WOL from Auto-Power-On.jpeg
TMLyy
TerraMaster Team

Re: Separate WOL from Auto-Power-On

Post by TMLyy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Agondonter

These two can be used independently, if you disable the Auto-Power-On, you can also enable the Wake-On-LAN (WOL) option and click on the application, it is effective
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Agondonter

Post by Agondonter »

TMLyy wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 21:09 [at=Agondonter post_id=21995 time=1666184457 user_id=5794][/at]

These two can be used independently, if you disable the Auto-Power-On, you can also enable the Wake-On-LAN (WOL) option and click on the application, it is effective
Thank you for your swift reply.

I just conducted an extensive test, trying a few different scenarios, and discovered the problem:

If you activate the Wake-On-LAN (and disable the Auto-Power-On), the Wake-On-LAN is working fine, until you disconnect the power supply! After you reconnect the power supply, and F5-221 LED's indicators flashed once (without powering the F5-221 NAS, because Auto-Power-On is disabled) the Wake-On-LAN doesn't work anymore! You can easily reproduce this scenario.

Do you think this small, but annoying bug is fixable, or I have to buy a 10000VA UPS?
https://www.insight.com/en_US/shop/prod ... ansformer/ :lol:
MisterXY
Germany

Post by MisterXY »

Thank you for your swift reply. I just conducted an extensive test, trying a few different scenarios, and discovered the problem: If you activate the Wake-On-LAN (and disable the Auto-Power-On), the Wake-On-LAN is working fine, until you disconnect the power supply! After you reconnect the power supply, and F5-221 LED's indicators flashed once (without powering the F5-221 NAS, because Auto-Power-On is disabled) the Wake-On-LAN doesn't work anymore!
I have experienced this with every NAS so far that after removing the power source, the WOL no longer works.
It only works again after a normal start.
Agondonter

Post by Agondonter »

MisterXY wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 11:59
I have experienced this with every NAS so far that after removing the power source, the WOL no longer works.
It only works again after a normal start.
Not every NAS has this issue. ZyXEL 326 is working under the exact same conditions, and its WOL feature is working flawlessly every time - no matter how many power blackouts hit it, or just normal loss of electricity (I switch off the power every evening, to minimize the risk of destroying the electronics because of the emergency power blackouts...) TerraMaster F5-221 is the first NAS having this WOL bug. The moment I win the lottery, I will purchase a 15000VA UPS (USD $18,713). That is the only serious solution. Until then, hopefully TerraMaster will fix the WOL bug.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-21 09.41.44.png
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

Has this been resolved yet.

I've just run into this problem.

WOL worked after a normal shutdown.

WOL did not work after power removal and re-insertion (Auto Power On is disabled)