For nas with hdmi support

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
Xgambit

For nas with hdmi support

Post by Xgambit »

To be able to use hdmi to view the nas on the TV lick on a computer with kvm (keyboard, video, mouse) support.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: For nas with hdmi support

Post by TMroy »

You better have an HD set-top box or a media player box, your TNAS can stream the video to your player, and with such a player you can do much more.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

TMroy wrote: 17 Sep 2022, 13:13 You better have an HD set-top box or a media player box, your TNAS can stream the video to your player, and with such a player you can do much more.
I strongly agree with @TMroy on this one. I've been running a 4-bay QNAP NAS for several years and QNAP makes a big deal of the ability to use the NAS as its own multimedia player. This is fine if you have an absolutely minimal LAN setup: a router, the NAS and a screen and audio output device. But the proper role of a NAS is as the backend to something like an nVidia Shield TV or an Amazon Fire Stick.

--
Chris
Xgambit

Post by Xgambit »

But why have hdmi if you only can use it for bios post or cmd promt only? I have a asustor nas and a qnap nas both old that is why I bought the f4 423 tu upgrade but would like to have more functionality of hdmi
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Xgambit wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 07:45 But why have hdmi if you only can use it for bios post or cmd promt only? I have a asustor nas and a qnap nas both old that is why I bought the f4 423 tu upgrade but would like to have more functionality of hdmi
Without knowing the intricacies, the OEM who produces these boards for Terra-Master could have had the HDMI port originally implemented in their design, with the cost of removal off each unit not being worthwhile for Terra-Master; similarly the resources to build playback capabilities into TOS for that output may be outside of the R&D budget for a company of their size.

Outside of the ARM series devices, the HDMI port has basically been on all Terra-Master ×86/×64 series device NASes, so it may have been a choice simply for troubleshooting purposes, when network connectivity may be the issue due to a hardware issue.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The HDMI port is not only for BIOS or troubleshooting, actually, it can be a display port for other OS, some users also use the TNAS box to run Windows OS or Linux contributions like Ubuntu for some projects.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Xgambit

Post by Xgambit »

thanks for your reply. my question should have been are there any plans to use the hdmi for anything else or just for troubleshooting ? if other OSs can use the hdmi port why cant terramaster? why limit this function?
MooieBoot

Post by MooieBoot »

Is this implemented on the TerraMAster VirtualBox Application in TOS 5?

https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualizati ... rough.html

I need to dig in more on the VirtualBox options on TOS, but it would be nice if you could passthrough USB port (For mouse/keyboard) and HDMI output (for screen) to a Guest VM. That way you could use the NAS as a virtualized desktop and/or run a surveillance monitor (there are opensource distro's doing this which you could brand as TerraMaster and provide a vbox image to be imported on VirtualBox) on it etc.