Add quota for TimeMachine shared folder

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Add quota for TimeMachine shared folder

Post by TMroy »

Hi Aitsch,
The quota for shared folder could be ready in about 1-2 month, hopefully it will be not too late and your drive still get enough space for other services.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

Great news @TMroy, thanks!
Will be available on all HW platforms (arm64 & x86), and on both btrfs and ext4, right?
Thanks for confirmation.
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Hi macmpi, both arm and x.86 models will support shared folder quota, but only btrfs can work for that. ext 4 file system is not able to do that.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

TMroy wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 22:25but only btrfs can work for that. ext 4 file system is not able to do that.
I guess I'm happy to have picked btrfs then!...

However while btrfs can do per-directory quota, ext4 can do per-user quota.
So, if TimeMachine is linked to a specific TimeMachine service user, then quota should be possible on ext4 too.

Anyhow, if this stays limited ot btrfs, you may want to clearly document such limitation so that user know when they initially setup their NAS.
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
Lebo77

Post by Lebo77 »

I am going to jump in and say I ALSO need to get this feature added ASAP. i have two macs backing up to my NAS and eating up space far too quickly. I likely have a year or so before it becomes critical, but it's quite annoying to see me space disappearing to month after month of backups.
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

TMroy wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 23:31 Hi Aitsch,
The quota for shared folder could be ready in about 1-2 month
Where are we with that?
Confirmed for 4.2 release, or sooner?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

New feature will be In the coming 4.2 beta.
Kenti

Post by Kenti »

May I ask if this feature available any soon? As this is very important for the functionality of an NAS. Or I have to choose the a brand unfortunately
Thx
sailongmetal

Post by sailongmetal »

Greetings, the amount restriction for Time Machine has been dropped in TOS 4.1. This necessity will be considered intensely by the Software Development Dept.
refer to this site : https://sailongmetals.com/product/titanium-alloy/
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

I will also chime in for Time Machine quota. I've reverted back to my old Apple Airport Time Capsule for my daughter's mac backups due to this... which I shouldn't have to do if TOS supports Time Machine.

Thanks!
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
---------------------------------------