Desktop assistant application for Linux computer

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
Dirk1972

Desktop assistant application for Linux computer

Post by Dirk1972 »

Dear Sir/Madam,

At the moment when using my TerraMaster F2-210 if any settings change which stops the NAS being detected in Linux, I have to go and boot into Windows 10 and run the Desktop Assistant to find it again and access it. However I use Linux exclusively in the office and if I didn't have to use Microsoft Windows to use the Desktop Assistant I wouldn't need to use it at all. I was planning on erasing Windows 10 completely and grabbing the disk space back for other things.

I have tried running it in Wine but I have had no success with it so far.

Is there any chance that someone from your programming team could make a native Linux version of the Desktop Assistant? Even a CLI version in the terminal instead of a GUI would be better than nothing. This would be amazing and would make all the software available to each platform.

Cheers,

/Mat.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Desktop assistant application for Linux computer

Post by TMroy »

Thank you for your feedback.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TM220user

Post by TM220user »

TMroy wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 00:30 Thank you for your feedback.
Well, that's very friendly and all... But it does nothing to address the question of whether or not you could make a native Linux version of the Desktop Assistant available to your users! *chuckles*
F2-220 (x86 flavored!)
Dirk1972

Post by Dirk1972 »

Hi TMroy,

I was just wondering if you had been given any feedback on whether a Linux version of TNAS PC would be a consideration and If not, if any of the tech guys could offer assistance on getting the Windows version working in Linux (Wine specifically) that would be a helpful alternative. As I stated before, I have tried various versions of Wine both 32 and 64 bit, installed various libraries to see if it would help (including .NET v4.6.1 which it states it requires in order to run at all upon launch) but nothing I have tried so far works - it just crashes on every load attempt.

Or maybe the impending TOS v5.0 will include a Linux version of TNAS PC, or negate the need for one in the first place? Anything you could tell me which may help my NAS join the rest of my office in becoming Linux-only would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

/Mat.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! You can try this: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1037
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

Dirk1972 wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 22:56 Dear Sir/Madam,

At the moment when using my TerraMaster F2-210 if any settings change which stops the NAS being detected in Linux, I have to go and boot into Windows 10 and run the Desktop Assistant to find it again and access it. However I use Linux exclusively in the office and if I didn't have to use Microsoft Windows to use the Desktop Assistant I wouldn't need to use it at all. I was planning on erasing Windows 10 completely and grabbing the disk space back for other things.

I have tried running it in Wine but I have had no success with it so far.

Is there any chance that someone from your programming team could make a native Linux version of the Desktop Assistant? Even a CLI version in the terminal instead of a GUI would be better than nothing. This would be amazing and would make all the software available to each platform.

Cheers,

/Mat.
Are you saying you have to use the desktop app to figure out the IP address? If you assign a reserved IP address on your router or firewall the TNAS will always be in the same place. I've never used the desktop app after the first TOS installation 2+years ago.
Dirk1972

Post by Dirk1972 »

Hi Titanrx8,

You would think so wouldn't you? I have my TerraMaster NAS on a fixed IP address which never changes... however if I upgrade the firmware, everything is lost and even though I still have it on that fixed IP address via the router, the NAS refuses to respond within Linux until I use the TNAS PC program to "find" it again.

/Mat.
Dirk1972

Post by Dirk1972 »

TMSupport wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 15:39 Hi! You can try this: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1037
Hi TMSupport,

Thank you for the link - I shall follow these instructions for next time I need to find the NAS :D

P.S. I copied the file to a directory, made it executable and ran it in a terminal with ./TNAS_For_Linux and it found the address straight away, then launched my default web browser straight into the TOS login screen. Fantastic - thanks again!!