Deactivate - reactivate USB-Ports

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
Hardfecx

Re: Deactivate - reactivate USB-Ports

Post by Hardfecx »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

OK, thank you but you see what i mean with the USB drives that they are the whole day running even when they are not in use? Maybe you can integrate in TOS5 an Option to put them to power off after 30 minutes if not in use like the Harddrisks in the Nas?
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
Hardfecx wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 03:10 Well because I have 2 USB drives connected on the Nas ( for USB Copy Backup) and so they are all day on power. But if I remove the USB cable, they are powered off. So I wanted a script that deactivate the USB port (so no more power on it) and activate it before backup to the USB Disks is starting.
WD and Seagate have utilities that let you access the firmware settings of your drives. You'll probably need to mount the drives to a PC to run the utility. You can likely update the spin down parameters but not scheduled power off/on. TOS might send too many check-ins to the drives and override any adjustments you can make. I haven't tried it on TM but have adjusted disk firmware on desktops. On my 2 x f2-221's all running WD Reds, I've been using TOS scheduled power down/up daily for about 5 months ( because the drives were never sleeping and saving electricity). There haven't been any ill effects on the servers or drives so far.
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

{L_BUTTON_AT}titanrx8

I just use the USB drives for a second backup with USBCopy but they are the whole day plugged in and USBCopy does backup in the middle of the night. In USBCopy is an option that the programm does a task immediately when the HD is inserted. Such an option should be in TOS that "Unplug" the USB drive and replug it per script just before a backup schedule starts. After the backup the script "unplug" the HD again till to the next schedule. My 4 WD RED's in Raid 5 are shutting down after 30 minutes of inactivity. Do you see what i mean?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Thank you all! we will take your advice into account.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)