Disable the admin user

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
titanrx8

Disable the admin user

Post by titanrx8 »

To increase security, I'd like to rename or disable the admin user.

A brute force attack only needs to find the password. Changing the admin or disabling the user requires finding both elements.
djonesuk

Re: Disable the admin user

Post by djonesuk »

If you disable the only admin user how would you ever enable it again? :? :shock:
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}titanrx8

Hi! You can reintall TOS 4.2.15 version, and then set the administrator name you want during initialization.
Before that, you need to back up your data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

djonesuk wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 06:45 If you disable the only admin user how would you ever enable it again? :? :shock:
By creating another admin privilege account like I've done in my other brands of NAS servers.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}titanrx8
TMSupport wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:00 Hi! You can reintall TOS 4.2.15 version, and then set the administrator name you want during initialization. Before that, you need to back up your data.
Thanks. I'll take care of that during my next scheduled down time.
djonesuk

Post by djonesuk »

titanrx8 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 21:53
djonesuk wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 06:45 If you disable the only admin user how would you ever enable it again? :? :shock:
By creating another admin privilege account like I've done in my other brands of NAS servers.
I think you're working on the misconception that there is a pre-defined 'administrator' user. There isn't. The first user that you create will become the administrator, whatever its called.
alexinwonderland

Post by alexinwonderland »

So, if I want to disable that "first user" administrator (after creating another one), I can't??? I need to remove the OS completely and reinstall everything from scratch?????
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}alexinwonderland

There is no need to reinstall the TOS system, please go to Control Panel > General Settings > Update & Restore > Backup & Restore to reset the system configuration to create a new administrator.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
nedhedrick

Post by nedhedrick »

I have the same issue. When I originally installed TOS, I selected "admin" as my superuser name. Now I want to further secure my system by defining a new superuser (with an obscure name), then disable or delete the old "admin" username. I can easily define the new user, but deleting or disabling the
previous one is not allowed.

If I try to reset the configuration to create a new superuser, the old one is restored when I restore the old configuration, and it still cannot be disabled or
deleted.

I'm sure this was designed intentionally to avoid accidentally losing the ability to control your NAS by deleting the only administrative user. But I also
believe this is a security shortcoming as you really need the ability to obfuscate your superuser as a security enhancement without having to completely
re-install your TOS.

Please consider this enhancement for implementation in TOS.

Thanks!