Feature Request: tune2fs Easy-Config/Daemon

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
Saijin_Naib

Feature Request: tune2fs Easy-Config/Daemon

Post by Saijin_Naib »

I think it would be great for ease-of-use and peace-of-mind if there was an optional "FileSystem Health" daemon we could enable/tune for EXT4 volumes (from what little I understand, BTRFS is not meant to managed this same way), likely in the Settings page for the storage pool.

I would envision this to be an easy-to-configure wrapper for tune2fs where we would basically opt-in by turning it on, and then set a combination of max-mount ( -c ) and/or max time ( -i ) for the volumes to be checked.

Bonus would be log entries here or in the Log panel showing the tune2fs/fsck log/results for us, as well. Maybe a little colorbox/status text confirming FileSystem health on this page would also be great.

OpenWRT has something similar (though much more basic) in their mount manager for storage (check every time before mount), and honestly, I like the peace-of-mind. I've managed a single-drive 1TB WD-Red on NTFS that way for 5 years before getting my F2-210, so I think it worked well as an extra layer of cheap insurance.

I know we have RAID and a robust OS/filesystem that we're relying upon, but to be honest, if that was enough, none of us would have RAID NAS devices in the first place :lol: