Set temperature for hard drive temp warning

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
codinghorror

Set temperature for hard drive temp warning

Post by codinghorror »

Hello!

I own four F5-422 and they work great!

However, when transferring files, sometimes the drives get a bit warm and I get the
Notifications

Security Consultant

Your hard drive temperature is too high! Temperatures above 55 °C will affect hard drive lifespan and data security. We recommend placing the device in a temperature-controlled environment and adjusting the fan speed to lower the temperature. (Adjust fan speed)
alert.

It only happens a little bit sometimes and the fan is already set to "smart fan", so the system should be able to cool the drives down by speeding up the fans.. I don't think the drives are too hot. So I have three feature requests related to drive temperature:

1. May I set the temperature threshold at which the "drives are too hot" warning appears?

(Also, where do I see the individual drive temperatures? I checked the hard drive info areas of the settings and I didn't see it reported there for each drive. Is one drive hotter than the others? 🤔

2. May I see the temperature of each drive displayed in the Storage Manager, Hard Drive areas?

It might also be nice to see temperature in the resource monitor over time.. perhaps it is warmer during the day and cooler at night.. or during file transfers and activity..

3. May I see the temperature of each drive in the Resource Monitor areas?

Thanks for your attention! I hope future versions of TOS continue to offer even more cool features and more reliability. Keep up the great work 👍
codinghorror

Re: Set temperature for hard drive temp warning

Post by codinghorror »

Are the devs interested in this? Could I get a response please?

I am very very very tired of a million "YOUR HARD DRIVE TEMPERATURE IS TOO HIGH!" warnings ... 😢

https://imgur.com/5kGwzKo
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hi,
1. Too high temperature is not good for the hard disk, please pay attention to cool the drives down
2. You can choose to turn off warning prompts, such as attachments
3. These feature requests , we need to discuss internally
Attachments
pro.png
pro.png (17.63 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
codinghorror

Post by codinghorror »

Yes but Iron wolf max 70° - WD Red max 65° per the documentation.

55c is too aggressive, default should be higher IMO.

Where can I get to the UI pictured in your screenshot? I can't find it?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Did you plug in a USB drive to your TNAS?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
codinghorror

Post by codinghorror »

It is F5-422 with 5 drives installed, 18tb 3.5" drives.

I do not leave any USB drive connected permanently.

I do plug in a USB drive sometimes to cut and paste files to it at high speed (nvme to USB), but the USB drive does not stay connected very long, only while copying. I remove the USB drive after the files are copied over to the F5-422 drive array.

So is there a place to set the temperature warning level, or turn it off? My logs are full of these warnings.. :?
codinghorror

Post by codinghorror »

oh wait I found it!

The place is here!

https://imgur.com/aOQM88s

The gear at the upper right of the notifications panel! This event is "security consultant" type so I may turn it off.. but that may turn off other "security consultant" warnings I might want :(

(It would still be better, if you let us set the temperature at which there is a warning, may we please have this feature? Please! I have purchased four F5-422 and I am about to purchase a fifth!)