List of issues and forum feature request

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
justsimon

List of issues and forum feature request

Post by justsimon »

As some of you have seen I've been a little vocal on this forum in the last few months. My work experience has led me to hold the mantras of the squeaky wheel gets the oil and if people don't know there's a problem, they don't know it needs fixing.

So I'd like to compile a list of bugs/issues/feature requests that are things a reasonable person - or annoying customer such as myself - would expect to be standard functionality.

ATTENTION Terra-Master staff: In addition, can you introduce some kind of feature request voting system? It would be frikkin' rad if you could prioritise work based on customer feedback. Obvs there will be certain things dictated by your security team, management, BDMs etc, but outside those it would be comforting to know that features you're working on are those that a higher number of your customers want/need.

My list of requests:
1. Remove 'token expired' pop-up on login screen
2. Provide web UI settings enabling users to forward all requests to https
3. System logging and graphing
4. Email notifications
5. Implement PWM fan standards for all future products
6. Include more base Linux applications
7. More generic implementation of docker
8. Persistent sorting in the Resource Monitor - Process interface

Details for requests:
This has been mentioned a few times:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1191
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1704
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=687
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1207

I've documented how to do this in a previous post, so it is possible. It would be great to have this option provided through the web UI so that it's accessible to less technical users.

3. System logging and graphing dashboard
Please provide better logging and graphing. If you implement your own logging and graphing dashboard, a configurable interface and retention period would be ideal.
Include things such as:
HDD Temp, Read, Write, Fan speed, CPU temp, CPU usage total, CPU usage by process, RAM usage, RAM usage by process, Motherboard temp, LAN Speed In, LAN Speed Out

Or you could provide better implementation of an open source solution.
You released Netdata as an app, but unfortunately it hasn't been updated since 2019-10-23. While my bro appreciates you celebrating his 37th birthday with this release, he's disappointed his subsequent birthday wasn't met with an update to the latest version at the time.
In all seriousness, Netdata is pretty good, and it would be nice if you maintained it with newer releases. Netdata would also be improved by my number 6 item: including more base Linux apps such as LMSensors and PWM Control. Though I guess if you're not using real PWM in the system, PWM Control is probs useless.
I've also had no luck in getting hddtemp to speak Netdata, neither in your app nor in Netdata running in docker.

Does anyone have suggestions of other open source logging/graphing apps?

4. Email notifications
When you log in to the web UI, there are warnings about root logins via SSH and system temp exceeding X value.
Email notifications for certain events (user selectable by event type) would be good.

This includes fan hardware (PCB/chips etc) and connectors. As has been mentioned a couple of times on this forum, some of us want to upgrade to better quality fans (for example, Noctua), but we have to contact you for wiring info as you use all black wiring and a non-PWM connector.
As I've discovered, even if you take the time to swap out the fans and re-wire connectors, Terra-Master's implementation seems not to be using standard PWM. I'm neither able to see my fans' speeds, nor adjust their speeds.

In fact your own staff have stated that you didn't intend to sell fans, so the implementation of non-standard 4-pin connector and fan speed management (speed detection and speed control) makes no sense.

There are some good apps in Linux that shouldn't be resource hungry, such as LMSensors and PWM Control. Though PWM Control might be useless if my suspicions are true about you not using real PWM.

There are some severe limitations in the way you've built your docker app. For example, Portainer shows me all the network options available via docker - it gives me 6 options, while your app gives me 2.
Your app should be querying what docker can offer, and then presenting those options to the user, but it seems you've programmed in option X and option Y to appear.

In the Process interface in Resource Monitor, when I click to sort by percentage, it switches back to alphabetical (Z-A) sorting within a second or two.
The sorting should remain as the user selected, refreshing only by what the user has selected.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: List of issues and forum feature request

Post by TMroy »

Appreciate your advice! We will look into it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
justsimon

Post by justsimon »

Soz, I just realised I posted this on the wrong forum
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

justsimon wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 16:42 So I'd like to compile a list of bugs/issues/feature requests that are things a reasonable person - or annoying customer such as myself - would expect to be standard functionality.

ATTENTION Terra-Master staff: In addition, can you introduce some kind of feature request voting system? It would be frikkin' rad if you could prioritise work based on customer feedback. Obvs there will be certain things dictated by your security team, management, BDMs etc, but outside those it would be comforting to know that features you're working on are those that a higher number of your customers want/need.

My list of requests:
4. Email notifications
Excellent post.
The ball is now with TerraMaster to prove they care about customers.
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

Excellent comments from @justsimon . Especially voting on features requests.

While we're making requests, how about up and down voting on forum posts so we have a qualitative approach to reviewing posts without wasting time on dead-ends.

Also when an original poster acknowledges that a response solved the issue, flag the post as SOLVED so we can quickly see if there's an effective solution without cluttering the forum with identical issues.

justsimon wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 16:42 As some of you have seen I've been a little vocal on this forum in the last few months. My work experience has led me to hold the mantras of the squeaky wheel gets the oil and if people don't know there's a problem, they don't know it needs fixing.

So I'd like to compile a list of bugs/issues/feature requests that are things a reasonable person - or annoying customer such as myself - would expect to be standard functionality.

My list of requests:
4. Email notifications

Details for requests:
This has been mentioned a few times:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1191
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1704
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=687
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1207

I've documented how to do this in a previous post, so it is possible. It would be great to have this option provided through the web UI so that it's accessible to less technical users.

3. System logging and graphing dashboard
Please provide better logging and graphing. If you implement your own logging and graphing dashboard, a configurable interface and retention period would be ideal.
Include things such as:
HDD Temp, Read, Write, Fan speed, CPU temp, CPU usage total, CPU usage by process, RAM usage, RAM usage by process, Motherboard temp, LAN Speed In, LAN Speed Out

Or you could provide better implementation of an open source solution.
You released Netdata as an app, but unfortunately it hasn't been updated since 2019-10-23. While my bro appreciates you celebrating his 37th birthday with this release, he's disappointed his subsequent birthday wasn't met with an update to the latest version at the time.
In all seriousness, Netdata is pretty good, and it would be nice if you maintained it with newer releases. Netdata would also be improved by my number 6 item: including more base Linux apps such as LMSensors and PWM Control. Though I guess if you're not using real PWM in the system, PWM Control is probs useless.
I've also had no luck in getting hddtemp to speak Netdata, neither in your app nor in Netdata running in docker.

Does anyone have suggestions of other open source logging/graphing apps?

4. Email notifications
When you log in to the web UI, there are warnings about root logins via SSH and system temp exceeding X value.
Email notifications for certain events (user selectable by event type) would be good.

This includes fan hardware (PCB/chips etc) and connectors. As has been mentioned a couple of times on this forum, some of us want to upgrade to better quality fans (for example, Noctua), but we have to contact you for wiring info as you use all black wiring and a non-PWM connector.
As I've discovered, even if you take the time to swap out the fans and re-wire connectors, Terra-Master's implementation seems not to be using standard PWM. I'm neither able to see my fans' speeds, nor adjust their speeds.

In fact your own staff have stated that you didn't intend to sell fans, so the implementation of non-standard 4-pin connector and fan speed management (speed detection and speed control) makes no sense.

There are some good apps in Linux that shouldn't be resource hungry, such as LMSensors and PWM Control. Though PWM Control might be useless if my suspicions are true about you not using real PWM.

There are some severe limitations in the way you've built your docker app. For example, Portainer shows me all the network options available via docker - it gives me 6 options, while your app gives me 2.
Your app should be querying what docker can offer, and then presenting those options to the user, but it seems you've programmed in option X and option Y to appear.

In the Process interface in Resource Monitor, when I click to sort by percentage, it switches back to alphabetical (Z-A) sorting within a second or two.
The sorting should remain as the user selected, refreshing only by what the user has selected.