A New Product

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
yerc1

A New Product

Post by yerc1 »

This is a copy of my reply to a new product announcement

I want to toss an idea around for TerraMaster's consideration.

The next product release will be a special edition F2-221 with OpenMediaVault instead of TOS.

OpenMediaVault or OMV is free to use and distribute. Based on the tested Debian distribution, OMV is actively developed by a talented group of individuals. The very active OMV forum is testament to a large community following.

The ultimate benefit for TerraMaster is being able to fill in their customer needs, which translates to success. At the minimum, TerraMaster will have a concrete gauge of what TerraMaster customers look for in a NAS OS.

The result will be proof of what customers buy as opposed to what they say they like.

TOS wins if people don't buy the product - it means people are happy with TOS.

TOS also wins if the product turns out to be popular because it can be a testbed for TOS developers to build an excellent TOS.

Is TerraMaster bold enough to try this?
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: A New Product

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}yerc1

Thank you for your advice. But I have one question, why you picked OpenMediaVault? How about FreeNAS or Synology DSM, they are not good enough?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

If I got the details right, OMV is community-driven while FreeNAS/TrueNAS has become a commercial product. DSM by Synology has always been a commercial product.

Going for community-driven as opposed to commercial would skirt any issue normally related with commercial product (licensing, branding, distribution, etc).

Second point: OMV is Debian Linux while FreeNAS/TrueNAS is BSD.
F2-221
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Thank you! I will report to the product team.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
demetry14

Post by demetry14 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}yerc1
TMroy wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 18:24 Thank you for your advice. But I have one question, why you picked OpenMediaVault? How about FreeNAS or Synology DSM, they are not good enough?
I would prefer FreeNAS or Synology DSM, but FreeNAS is finicky and Synology DSM means your product would skyrocket in price due to licensing. Only because I have used both in the past and know how they work. I would be interested to see TM make TOS more accepting of 3rd party packages like the Synology SPK's. Your team would be able to output more packages relevant to your userbase instead of people like myself converting them for my own use "because of synology, I would not share my conversions". But business to business you could probably work a deal out with Synology to get their packages available in TOS.
~~
Demetry

F2-210
F4-210
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

demetry14 wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 16:41 I would be interested to see TM make TOS more accepting of 3rd party packages like the Synology SPK's. Your team would be able to output more packages relevant to your userbase instead of people like myself converting them for my own use...
Very interesting :idea:
Could you share a link/tutorial for the conversion process?
F2-221
demetry14

Post by demetry14 »

yerc1 wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 04:47
demetry14 wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 16:41 I would be interested to see TM make TOS more accepting of 3rd party packages like the Synology SPK's. Your team would be able to output more packages relevant to your userbase instead of people like myself converting them for my own use...
Very interesting :idea:
Could you share a link/tutorial for the conversion process?
There is no link or tutorial, it's a matter of extracting SPK and TPK, figuring out both structures, reviewing any build guides both have and then lots of repackaging and testing. Regardless linux is linux.
~~
Demetry

F2-210
F4-210
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

demetry14 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 11:44 There is no link or tutorial, it's a matter of extracting SPK and TPK, figuring out both structures, reviewing any build guides both have and then lots of repackaging and testing. Regardless linux is linux.
@demetry14
I see. Thank you.
F2-221
Juliuss

Post by Juliuss »

I think unraid could be a great idea
tutuzik

Post by tutuzik »

it seems to me that it would be better to analyze all nas qnap asustor thecus synology to take the best of them and terramaster will become the very first system with the best functionality and a set of applications